Thursday, December 07, 2006

The good ol' days. Part 4

I'm trying to find the time to go through my old photos, scan them and post them here. It'll take a while. But I've got a few more I took in '77 and '78 which you may like to see...and go misty-eyed about how it was if you were here back then.

First, the airport. I know we have to have progress, we need a much bigger airport and all that. But I loved the old one. This was the main entrance...



Then the Trade Centre - the tallest building in the Middle East for a while. Way out in the desert in those days. That's the late Hilton Hotel behind it - demolished about a year ago...



And finally, as I'm pushed for time so this posting has to be short, one of Dubai's first exotic, unusual buildings, a private villa. It's still there in Jumeirah, now surrounded by development of course. A landmark to help people find their way, then and now...



Previous old photos:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

5 comments:

nzm said...

Excellent!

Seabee said...

They are good to look at aren't they - not the quality of the photos, the subjects I mean. I'm having fun going through them!

Anonymous said...

More great pics!!

I've spent many new years eve's in the Pagoda. Fab house it is. Part of the swimming pool goes into the house! Brilliant.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
trailingspouse said...

I've been walking past that pagoda house every night for the past two weeks and would love to know more about it. Do you know who built it Desert Lady and why they chose that design?